E3 is shaping up to be a pretty big show. More companies will be having presentations. There’s rumored to be some big surprises coming from the console companies. Also the Nintendo World Championships is making its glorious return! E3 this year could possibly be bigger then ever before.
That said, one notable key player will be missing E3 this year. According to IGN, Nintendo CEO Satoru Iwata won’t be at E3 for a second year in a row. Last year he missed E3 do to illness. This year he’ll be in Japan working on other things. Here’s what Nintendo said:
Nintendo’s focus for E3 this year will be showcasing the many games we have coming for both Wii U and Nintendo 3DS. Mr. Miyamoto and other members of our development team will be in Los Angeles to explain these games and the unique experiences that each offers. Mr. Iwata’s focus in this period will be on other areas of our business that require his presence in Japan.
We all know that Nintendo has had many new business ventures in recent times not to mention they’re working on the NX. However, I have a feeling that Iwata wouldn’t have skipped E3 this year if E3 wasn’t so successful for Nintendo last year. Either way, we won’t be effected much and if last year is anything to go by, letting the Treehouse do their thing will lead to an awesome show.
I’m not really sure why people expected it when Nintendo was clear that 2016 would be the earliest they would talk about NX. Nintendo had to come out this week at their investor meeting and clarify that they will not be talking about NX at E3 this year. They will be focusing specifically on Wii U and 3DS software at the expo. He did talk a little about what NX is.
“Presently, we cannot talk about the time period when it [the NX] will go on sale or what it’s like. Because we are calling it a ‘new concept,’ we are not thinking of this as a ‘simple replacement’ for the 3DS or the Wii U.”
It’s interesting that he mentions that it’s not a simple replacement for the 3DS or the Wii U. What exactly does that mean and why does he mention both platforms specifically? That sounds like it could hint towards whatever NX is being an integrated device for home and mobile. Of course anything about NX right now would be complete speculation.
Nintendo will be talking about NX. Not before next year, but they will be talking about it.
The controversy around region-locking has been a topic of much debate for years and one we hear regularly about in the Nintendo community. If systems were region-free, games not getting localized would be a non-issue if the game is released somewhere else in your language. The topic of region-locking is also something that has been brought to Nintendo’s attention time and time again.
The topic was also brought up during the recent Q&A session with investors. Luckily, Cheesemeister, who’s known for translating gaming related news, took to NeoGAF to translate the session. According to the translated question, Iwata says Nintendo is investigating making the NX region-free.
Continue reading Nintendo Contemplating Dropping Region-Locking With NX
Iwata also gave us an update on the status of Amiibo’s. The good news is, as we already know, the demand for the Amiibos has been very strong. With strong demand has come strong sales. They have actually shipped 5.4 million Amiibos as of March 31. That’s no small number by any means.
The not so good news is, the demand is too high for the supply and there just isn’t enough Amiibos to go around. However, Nintendo is going to be producing more of the Amiibo’s that sold out quickly after launch to help with the supply. That said, there’s no time frame in which they’ll be coming. So for those looking for various different Amiibos, hopefully you’ll be able to find some in the not too distant future.
Nintendo said this before and they’re saying it again. There’s more games in development for Wii U then what they’ve already announced. This is something they reiterated in the recent investors meeting. Here’s what Iwata said exactly:
These are the already announced Wii U titles that will be released in the fiscal year ending March 31, 2016, and there are also unannounced titles that are not listed here. Among these titles, there are games that actively utilize the Wii U GamePad, including several we showed at E3 last year that are considered part of the Wii U GamePad utilization project led by Mr. Miyamoto.
With all of the recent rumors of unannounced new games from Nintendo and publisher support for Wii U it’s going to make for an interesting E3. Luckily, we’ll be getting a lot more information in the very near future!
I’ve had an issue with the “rush to the bottom” mentality on mobile markets for a long time now. Many people out there won’t even give a game a second look if you have to pay to download it. That’s part of the reason the free-to-play market has grown as big as it has. Now with Nintendo getting into that area of gaming they have to face these harsh realities. Nintendo President Satoru Iwata appears that he does understand the free-to market, but takes issue with calling many of the games there free-to-play.
“I do not like to use the term ‘Free-to-play. I have come to realize that there is a degree of insincerity to consumers with this terminology, since so-called ‘Free-to-play’ should be referred to more accurately as ‘Free-to-start.’”
He also says that Nintendo is not looking to get exclusively into the free-to-start market and that all of their games may not use that model. He sees room for traditional games with set prices and thinks that Nintendo can overcome the problems inherent to the free-to market. He sees that as a viable option, but understands that not all of the games they release on mobile devices fit that option. Some could see release with more traditional fixed pricing options as well. He equated the value of content to the music industry.
“The thing that concerns me most is that, in the digital age, if we fail to make efforts to maintain the value of our content, there is the high possibility for the value to be greatly reduced as the history of the music industry has shown. On the other hand, I have no intention to deny the Free-to-start model. In fact, depending on how we approach this model, we may be able to overcome these problems.”
Nintendo’s recent announcement of a partnership with Japanese mobile company DeNA saw their stock temporarily rise as investors were excited about the notion of Nintendo finally jumping into the mobile market. Their first games are set to come out later this year and we’ll see then just what Nintendo has come up with to “overcome these problems”.
Innovation and Nintendo go hand in hand like peanut butter and jelly. That’s why it comes as no shocker when Mr. Iwata stated in a recent interview with Nikkei that Nintendo wants to surprise gamers with the Nintendo NX.
However, if you only expand upon existing hardware, it’s dull. In some shape or form, we’re always thinking about how we want to surprise players as well as our desire to change each person’s video gaming life.
The statement is vague to say the least but at least we know that they’re aiming to change things up again. The statement leads one to believe that they’re looking for a fresh reset rather then a continuation of the established hardware brands they’ve used for this console generation and the previous generation. This is Nintendo though, who knows what they have in store. What are your thoughts on this matter?