Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is a game that people have very strong opinions about. You either really, really love it or you have countless stories of frustration. Many people have stories of getting hit by three, or four, or five items in a row in races. Well that’s about to get even worse.
Nintendo has released an update for the game that will give players who are behind in races even better items than before. The developers want those people to be able to catch up more frequently and give everyone a better chance at winning races against real, human opponents. Along with those updates come some other small adjustments to the balance of the game, allow for more amiibo functionality, and generally attempt to make the game a better experience for everyone.
The full list of fixes for the update, which brings the game to version 1.2 includes:
Players can use Pikmin-themed amiibo to unlock a Pikmin Suit for the Mii driver.
- Race rules and course name are now displayed on loading screens for online and wireless play, as well as Mario Kart TV.
- Players who are behind in online matches will receive items geared toward catching up more frequently.
- In online matches, no more than two Piranha Plants will be granted as items at the same time.
- Controls are no longer unresponsive when the timer runs out when choosing a Mii racing suit for online matches.
- When a player uses an item right after the Super Horn in online matches, that item will now remain available for other players.
- Item wheel no longer spins continuously in online matches.
- Online matches now end as intended 30 seconds after the first place racer finishes.
- The Boomerang now returns to the first slot, if possible, after a player catches it.
- Items shown in a player’s item slots now display correctly when holding an item behind them.
- No longer possible to use an item after it has been used to block an attack.
- Communication errors no longer occur frequently while spectating or after spectating online matches.